Friday, June 28, 2013

Greetings Everyone!

    Sorry the delay in my postings...I've been preparing for my trip the closer the date approaches (July 5th). I've finally achieved plane ticket fair, which by the way was VERY expensive!!! And to place insult to injury I got inoculated today with hepatitis A and typhoid interesting process but finally done (a week before my plane trip). The ladies inside the clinic were really nice and gracefully placed a needle in my skin. lol Furthermore I also gained my visa within the last two weeks. But any-who I didn't forget where we left off....Bio-medical Engineering right?
     So the textbook definition is the application of engineering principles and design concepts to medicine and biology of healthcare purposes (diagnostic or therapeutic). This field seeks to close the gap between engineering with medical and biological sciences to advance healthcare treatment, including diagnosis, monitoring and therapy. Its only recently that the subject became its own discipline compared to many other engineering fields such as:

  •  -biocompatible prosthese  
  • -various diagnosis and theraputic medical devices 
    • (ranging from clinical equipment to microimplants) 
      • - i.e. MRIs
      • - EEGs
      • regenerative tissue growth
      • pharmaceutical drugs
      • therapeutic biologicals
But aside from understanding what Bio-medical engineering is rather what does it do for the people of Nepal?!?! Does is mean a second chance for those worst off or does it mean a better money market for the industrialization of medicine?  These are the concerns and questions we should be asking...How does this affect the different types of medicine practices? How can bio-medical engineering connect the two? Is this concept included in insurance for liability reasons as far as workers are concerned??? Just a little fruit for thought next posting... 

  

                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment