Thursday, July 11, 2013

Clear Understanding

Greetings Everyone!

WOW! Last night sooooooo intense right! Well I'm here to tell you that was nothing compared to what I;m about to you....So today was my first experience with clinicals within the hospital, and boy let me tell you it was not a graceful easy going experience. The nurses were rude and disrespectful towards me, not only did they laugh at but they nit picked at everything about me from my name to my hair, even my size and culture in English and Nepali["why are you so fat and ugly" "why is your hair like that?"] just a sample of today's comments. And you know I could have easily snapped and said some mean comments but instead I became the bigger person and removed myself from the situation. I'm not going lie I went back to the ProWorld house and cried my eyes out...licked my wounds and slowly pulled myself together. But the process wasn't easy, you have to remember this my first experience overseas, I know things aren't always going to be smooth however rudeness I will not tolerate! That's where the line is drawn... So I plan on going back fresh Monday morning and blow them out the water. I'm going to ignore there comments and address them accordingly, I REFUSE to be bullied in a FREAKIN underdeveloped country. If anything I'm suppose to the rude "Ugly American" right? Now don't misinterpret my plan as a sign of vengeance, I chose to be the bigger person and not entertain ignorance....They will respect me because I am going to command it, they will accept my brown skin and I will not apologize for heritage and where I come from..... Its funny because I had to come all the way across the world to finally embrace my culture on whole new level. And that's okay, I think I'll come back a better person for it. However, today wasn't a total bust I did take some pictures of the hospital, and learned some of the common illness within the community. The list consist of:  COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, Pneumonia, Indian Fever, and Urinary Track Infections) The hospital does make an impact within the community but there's still lots of work that needs to be done, most sectors hold from 1-12 people at a time, and that's sections like medical ward, ICU (Intensive Care Unit), and hospice care sector [even though the tittle denotes dying patient it holds patients in recovery and patients awaiting treatment for typhoid]. Now places like surgery or x-rays hold 1-2 patients only, so I still have more to see. I can't go back tomorrow because I go on an excursion.But come Monday I plan on entering the medical testing facility (laboratory) I hear those are the meanest nurses but I need all sections covered so I can get a well rounded view of the hospital . So thusly I'm going to suck it up and push through it. Other than that I had a pretty productive day, I washed all my clothes and reorganized my room. I took a nice hot shower and enjoyed a movie. As of right now there's a power outage taking place for God knows how long sooooo that's the highlight of my day. Until next time enjoyed some diverse versions of embraced black culture!


No comments:

Post a Comment