Monday, July 22, 2013

Well Rounded

Greetings Everyone!

I hope all is well and good wherever you are! I finally feel comfortable in my own skin where I can safely say I am enjoying what Kathmandu has to offer...Soooooo the last time we spoke I was talking about the medical laboratory and how public health is implemented. But the things I saw transpire throughout the week were just amazing. To begin I saw a kidney stone removal, [just for those who don't know what a kidney stone removal is; basically its a calcium build up within ones urine, now depending on the size and mm of the stone one may or may not be able to pass the stone through urination, thusly for the surgery if passing the stone is difficult]. But the surgery itself was soooooooo cool, the patient was very fragile and in immense pain, the process was about 2-3 hours because the patient had three kidney stones the size ones thumb nail. The doctor that did the procedure was apparently one of the best surgeons in Nepal. He is the head urologist within his association, and travels quite frequent to conferences and meetings. The surgery itself was successful despite the fact that the power went out during the process and the patients blood pressure kept increasing...I also had the pleasure of viewing my very first ultrasound [OMG] seeing another life in that light was so beautiful, I saw the sex [a boy!], heart, liver, and the placenta from the mother. I also got a chance to witness some really interesting x rays....And the news doesn't stop there, I had the pleasure of going to another clinic with the hills of Nepal soooooooooooo beautiful by the way! But, the clinic is newly built and services the people within that region at a more discounted price. The problems range from children with worms to women with vaginal prolapse. Each person traveled far to recieve treatment, and keep in mind that each patient has persisting problems while waiting for the opening of this clinic. In many ways this clinic was a blessing in disguise, the doctors there mostly specialize in internal medicine but doctor in particular happen to have done multiple surgeries in many different sectors of the body like brain, cardiovascular, neuro, ortho, and much more this is a hot commodity within Nepal. But anywho I have sooooooooooooooooooooo much more to tell which I will save for my next posting tomorrow. But I'm really sleepy now and kind of ready to crash, my body's been really sickly lately due to the environment and dietary changes so I'll save that for another posting....But until next time enjoy some of the sites I saw while in the Hills of Nepal!


kidney stones


Kidney Stone Pre-OP

Me Scrubbed in :D 

No comments:

Post a Comment