Wednesday, July 10, 2013

VENTING MOMENT

Greetings Everyone!

I hope all is well where ever you are! Today was definitely interesting, I woke up to a rain free sunny day, with no power or water for about 4 hours. And surprisingly enough I wasn't really phased by it. I've been here now for 3 days and 4 nights, I'm still adjusting and trying to finish unpacking. So to release some steam I went out clubbing 2 nights in a row. The men were nice the drinks were good and the prices were cheap. However, its nothing like a taste of home to give me the real boost I need. I spoke to my dad yesterday and he gave me a dose of true reality. And in what he said really and truly changed my perception, he stated that I'm in their country, I chose them and they didn't choose me...And with that being said I can't expect or accept anything until gripping that concept. So thusly I took a step today and tried and enjoy the beauty in everything I witnessed today. I embodied the food, the streets, and even the smells (and let me tell they weren't sweet)  to then further appreciate what the culture has to offer. But what bothers me to no end is the constant distance and barrier between me and them [the color of my skin, the curl patterns in my hair, the style of my dress, even the language I speak] its like I'm the walking talking alien from America. Not even the whites here know or understand what I go through. I feel as if I'm the only black person here, and it bothers me THERE I SAID I FINALLY GOT IT OFF MY CHEST.... but ironically I don't feel any better about it. The people look at me and laugh or point and talk about me right in front of my face like I'm some side show attraction. You know all the books and classes really don't prepare you for the real moment, especially considering that they water down a lot of truth involved. And within the point my father made to mewas if I don't grasp that concept I'm slowly going to turn into that ugly American, complaining and nagging about everything, not appreciating anything, becoming arrogant and mean towards not only the people but the culture as well. Okay no more! I'm done I think laid enough heavy steam until next time. So with that being said I'm going to bed because I have a long day ahead of me and I don't want to miss anything. Until next time here's an ugly American to keep you company!

No comments:

Post a Comment