Tuesday, July 9, 2013

SOS

Greetings Everyone!

So today was the big day, I started my internship and finally got myself situated within the country. I went to meet with a Public Health administrator of the hospital. He gave me the inside scoop of how the system truly works and how the government is impacting the country. To be quite honest its not really good, the system there is very underdeveloped, as far as building maintenance and simple common knowledge. The hospital base on a non-profit organization called Helping Hands, and through that the hospital gets money from [government funding], and fees paid by patients for treatment. The medicine is modern and while the intentions are good the actions being made to bring progress grows faint. They preform surgeries at discounted prices and give treatment for little to nothing, the equipment is really old, some of their tactics aren't really clean. Gloves really aren't worn, masked aren't worn while certain procedures take place. Its kind of contradictory, because at the same your treating someone your still spreading the bacteria through personal contact with other people. Furthermore to add more insult to injury tissue or soap isn't provided at the hospital so when one decides to digest millions of tiny bacteria are being passed everywhere! So my question and concern here is how to truly implement Public Health without offending the people present, because at the end of the day its the best they can do with what they have. Just the simple small things really make a difference, I personally feel if you start at the source maybe the information can be passed to make a better tomorrow. For example an info session on how to properly do hand-washing or to wear and dispose of gloves. Again this is just from individual observation and my opinion, I have NOT in anyway impressed on the people my thoughts and feelings. That's not the purpose of my research, I simply want to remain seen and not heard. Now what I just told you  is only the surface I could on and on about whats wrong but I'm more focused on solutions.In addition, the doctor spoke of how most of their problems surround funding, they DON'T HAVE ANY MONEY! And to make matters worse the patients out number the doctors. Nepal has one of the most corrupt country's in South East Asia, so if one can imagine how that impacts the hospital and its constituents. These are some of the problems and struggles that Nepalese people have to deal with on the daily basis....I'm sorry if this offended someone reading or if I came off blunt but lets face it life isn't all about rainbows and sunny skies. Looking at this situation really makes one analyze and appreciate the healthcare system we do have; it also gives some perspective of what poverty truly looks like....

No comments:

Post a Comment